13 September 2005

Greeklish

This summer, some friends and I were talking it up, and before we knew it, we mounted a conversational chariot and drove right into the Mount Olympus-sized topic of Greek culture. Oh, we spoke of The Iliad, the Adriatic Sea, gyros, the Trojan horse, ionic columns, bronzed skin, the Cyclops, hummus, the usual. We ruminated over how the heck Zeus bore Athena from his head by himself.

Then, with a straight face, I informed everyone that the only difference between the Greek and English written languages is the font. I had the distinct pleasure of being taken seriously for at least seven seconds before I laughed aloud out of fear that a large eagle would come down and start devouring someone's liver.



3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

I was hoping someone would comment because I wasn't sure how this post would go over...

I really think the Greeks are awesome. To me, it's a combination of egregious, tacky, poor taste and humor that we (at least in the US) stylize Greek characters merely by changing the font. :)

Thanks for writing, Graham.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Matt McGrath said...

jhny7 [This was a comment my kitten felt the need to post]

[now she's fallen (honest) off the keyboard so it's back to me...]

If you want Greek 'hell' myths then my favourite is the one where some poor sucker is standing up to the neck in a clear cool lake of water, and succulent delicious fruit hangs down from trees to within reaching distance of him. Yet every time he stoops to drink, the water falls, and every time he reaches for a grape, it rises higher above him. He is kept in this way, in an eternal state of thirst and hunger.

...And t-hen[ hrps []]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''']#[kitten][me] then there's Sisyphus....

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger philosophia said...

Ash, you are too funny. That is a tragic Greek myth you described; they seem to be really good at imagining the worst possible situations!

Many thanks to your kitten for the kind words as well. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here