20 July 2005

I'm So Vain...I Bet I Think This Entry's About Me

I feel bad bashing the Maine-ites in my "Vaine" entry. I'm really the one who's vain. I was even vain enough to change the words to the Carly Simon song, You're So Vain to fit my blog entry title. I also began all sentences in this paragraph with "I".

Yesterday, I left the apartment just before 10 a.m. after vigilantly checking my blog for any new hits and listening to Sarah McLachlan's Do What You Have To Do on repeat for 45 minutes. I didn't even workout.

I went to practice piano, and after listening to myself play Haydn's F Minor Variations for 2 + hours, I thought I'd reward myself with a trip into town. I went into the library to check my blog for more hits. I even mustered up enough nerve (although this wasn't all that difficult) to email tech support at blogexplosion.com and ask them just why my blog doesn't come up when you enter "philosophy" (because it's in my blog description on that site). So, yes, that means that I was looking up my own blog. VAIN, VAIN, VAIN! Out of the kindness of their hearts, a technician emailed me back, and he even put a little smiley face on his reply - soooo sweet.

Still at the library, caught under another vicious wave of self-indulgence, I decided to look through the magazine section for the journal that features me in a full-page ad for my undergraduate institution. After thirty painstaking minutes flipping through three months of the magazine in the library's "quiet area", I found it. The other readers breathed a sigh of relief as the loud and obnoxious out-of-town page-turner exited the premises. I left the library and the "oops, you took a book with you" alarm went off. Knowing full-well it wasn't my fault (who do I think I am?), I marched on out and decided to reward myself yet again (for what?). I bought a journal (which actually was much needed, or needed...or maybe just much wanted) - a really cute eurotrashy one made by British designer Roger la Borde.

I traveled back to my apartment and fixed myself a late lunch of cracked pepper water crackers decorated with herbed Brie and Fontina cheeses, deep red grapes, cherries, and a rich almond biscotti. With a glass of cranberry + lime seltzer in a clear with white frosted polka-dotted martini glass, I toasted myself for kicks.

Who do I think I am?

4 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger rabsteen said...

it's all about treating yourself right! good for you. i can really feel the inner european coming out; in fact, i would go as far as saying you've had a very european day! (or at least the romantisized version of what ought to be a european day)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the support...And I especially appreciate you alluding to the fact that I just might be a bit European, even if it's just on the inside. :)

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger vaasu said...

nice blog..keep posting:)

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

Thanks, Vaasu! I appreciate your encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here