26 July 2005

Rainbow Bright Sheng

So, last night, I played the piano part for Bright Sheng's "Two Poems from the Sung Dynasty", a work written in 1985 for soprano and chamber orchestra.

We were conducted by the composer himself (pictured at left), which was fun. However, that's not the coolest part.

I mean, it was cool that Mr. Sheng was conducting, but Sarah pointed out the coolest part to me - the piece called "Two Poems from the Sung Dynasty", and it calls for a soprano (who sings)! HA. I love it. Let's be honest, this pun was not intentional, but I just like to think that it was. Who knows, though? Maybe Bright Sheng is totally into puns. I debated asking him about it, but I recoiled in fear and shame.

I was asked to perform the piece on Friday afternoon and the concert was Monday night, so I was debating whether or not to play it because of the crazy short notice compiled with all the other music that I'm suddenly learning ASAP. Once I realized that Sheng is quite possibly a very witty man, I took the plunge. I learned the music for the sake of the pun. I mean the fun. Or the pun. I was delighted to take part in a punny performance. All's well that puns well.

2 Comments:

At 6:09 AM, Blogger Diary-Thinker said...

You sound like you can play, I can read music but I cannot play it.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

Thanks, Diary Thinker!

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if I can really play... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here