17 November 2005

Regrets

Beginning in September, the major department stores kindly reminded us with large Christmas trees, dancing present boxes, and festive music, that the holidays were fast approaching. There's a lot to reflect about this time of year: being grateful, helping others, new beginnings, going home, memories...

...For me, one such memory was when I informed my friend Jeffrey Tucker that Santa Claus didn't exist. We were in the third grade and riding the bus home around the holidays. My grandfather had finally confirmed my strong suspicion that Santa Claus was a hoax, and I was so delighted to tell someone the news. Ruthlessly, I told Jeffrey when he gave me the run-down on his Christmas wishlist.

"...So, that's what I asked Santa for", he beamed.

"Um, you mean what you asked your parents for?" I questioned.

"Noooo, it's what I asked Santa for." he replied.

"Yeah, Santa doesn't exist. My grandfather told me so, and he knows everything."

Oh, the glee in my heart, I was so happy to tell someone my newly acquired information. I really had good intentions; I just wanted my friend to know the truth about the secrets of the universe, which at the time, consisted of slap bracelets, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus. Suddenly though, he started crying. His two older twin sisters were on the bus glaring at me, and I knew I was in trouble. Feeling so bad, I reassured Jeffrey that I was "only kidding".

I know, I was a ruthless kid.

Photo credit - The picture above is of Zach, the amazing baritone I have the honor of accompanying. Here, he is pictured with a Santa Claus that graces his apartment - Mardi Gras beads, shades, and all.

2 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger OhMyTrill said...

That was not very nice...but it does make for a good story!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

I know; it wasn't very nice at all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here