28 September 2005

Cafe-teary-eyed

I am sad to say that I lost the "name the dining center" contest at my music school. "Beeth's Oven", the strongest entry I submitted, wasn't chosen. Sometimes, when caught in the clutches of extreme self-pity, I like to imagine the worst possible situation. I think this ill event mandates such grieving. I bet my ballot was thrown on the ground, stomped on, and belittled in front of all the cooks, the workers, and heck, even the vegetables and the cereal bar. Or, maybe, as my therapist assures me, the cooking staff "just didn't get it". Either way, my tears could fill a river (see above).

The dining center wizards picked "Cadenza Cafe". I know, "Cadenza Cafe" - it's foolish, it's nonsense, it's generic, it's ridiculous. That's what I think too. Curiously, the winning entry was submitted by a cafeteria worker, so I'm pretty sure the contest was rigged.

It appears to be the beginning of the end for our school's eatery. First, they replaced the solid colored plates with plastic rainbow plates, and then proceeded to paint large black electric guitars, french horns, and music notes all over the walls, so as to make the servery look more "cool". They got rid of the belgium waffle machines with the treble clef embosser in the middle. Not only do our coffee mugs not insulate, but I'm convinced they actually suck the heat out of the drinks. There's no more hummus in the salad bar at all. I have to beg for soy milk. Crawl on the floor for a Boca burger. Riot for romaine. And, to top it all off, they named the dining center "Cadenza Cafe".

May you rest in peace, "Beeth's Oven". You shall find a cafeteria worthy of your name.

9 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your loss, my friend. My heart was also deeply cut by the insipid choice of name for the dining center. My deepest sympathies to you in your grieving.

love-
jared

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger philosophia said...

Thanks, Jared. It will indeed be difficult. :)

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

Thanks, Graham. I think I'm slowly, but surely getting over this whole ordeal. :)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Cadenza Cafe?!

O

M

G

That is so not ok. Um, you'r ein your last year there- I think this calls for a sort of senior prank. I'll bet I know a certain cellist who would help you "redecorate"...

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger philosophia said...

Hmmm, Sarah. Maybe, that will have to happen. ;)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Brad Huston said...

Beeth's Oven. Clearly, the superior of the two choices. Will your school ever recover following such a scandal? One can only hope...

Brad

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger philosophia said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Brad. And, thanks for visiting. I am enjoying your blogs!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger OhMyTrill said...

Beeth's Oven=Genius...
Is there anymore to say?
Your submission was obviously above the heads of those judging the contest.

PS>Found your blog on Sarah S's...and it is fabulous!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger philosophia said...

Hey OhMyTrill,

I love your blogger name! Thanks for visiting and for your support of my ballot entry. :)

I'll be checking out your blog, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here